On average, only 10% of most vitamins retain potency after digestion, which means up to 90% is literally flushed away. Vitasome’s patented delivery absorbs at a greater rate so our vitamins get into your body and stay in to maximize nutritional bioavailability and nutritional value at the cellular level. The following explains this in further detail.
Vitasome has refined the science and technology of liposomes from a drug delivery system to cost effectively mass producing highly stable dietary supplements that allow the body to significantly increase absorption and the retention time of nutrients.
Scientific research shows that your body only absorbs 5-18% of the nutrition obtained from the intake of typical dietary supplements.
A liposome is a nano-sized fluid-filled pouch whose walls are made of bilayers of phospholipids identical in makeup to the phospholipids that make up cell membranes. When hydrated, phospholipids spontaneously form a microscopic sphere (particle size in the range of microns) because of the amphiphilic nature of lipids. Nutrients in the hydration solution can be trapped inside the aqueous compartment while fat soluble substances can be trapped inside the bilayers of the hydrocarbon chains. Special technology is applied to down-size the liposomes to nano-sized liposomes with a mean diameter in the range of 50-200 nm in our case ideal for the oral delivery of dietary supplements. There is yet another benefit to the liposome – the phospholipids contain high contents of unsaturated fatty acid chains and no trans- fat. These lipids are by themselves important nutrients to the body for restoring the vitality and vigor of the cell.
Studies have shown that traditional capsule and pill methods for human consumption of vitamins, minerals, and dietary supplements have less than 10% percent absorption rate in the body. Because vitamins are primarily absorbed through the lining of the small intestine, conditions that affect the GI tract, such as digestive enzyme imbalances and unhealthy levels of inflammation, greatly affect vitamin absorption. According to Physicians’ Desk Reference pg.1542, absorption rates of pills and capsules are between 5%-18%. This means that 85-95% of the ingredients contained in pills are excreted or eliminated from the body.
To solve the low-absorption problem, scientists at Vitasome created a method to encapsulate nutrients within protective spheres called liposomes. These microscopic pouches are lined with phospholipids—the same type of molecules that make up cell membranes—and protect the contents of the liposome until it makes its way to the small intestine. This allows the liposome payload to remain in useable form, increasing overall absorption. As exhibited in pharmacokinetics testing performed by Vitasome at Charles River Labs, studies indicate this could be as high as up to seven times greater than pills and capsules. Vitasome has cost- effectively advanced this liposome technology and applied it to our products.
Here are four reasons why Vitasome liposomes are more effective:
- Our liposomes are nano-sized ≤ 200nm. This means Vitasome liposomes have increased surface area which enhances nutrient assimilation.
- Our liposome pouches are fortified with an all-natural-molecule-phosphatidylcholine (PC) – that has been heralded in Forbes magazine as the new brain-boosting wonder. PC has been shown to stimulate the growth of new brain cells and connections, supporting memory, learning and cognitive focus.
- Our liposomes also have an added feature, known as a “stealth” layer. This outer layer keeps the phagocytes from removing the liposomes before they can be absorbed (studies show that white blood cells can reduce the absorption of vitamins).
- Vitasome’s concealment technology improves absorption and retention so that nutrients get in and stay in. Because the phagocytes do not remove the nutrients, Vitasome nutrient delivery peaks at approximately eight hours of extended release.
- Physician’s Desk Reference (page 1542, #49)
- Application of true liposomes restricted by cost, manufacturer says, Hank Schultz, www.nutraingredients-usa.com, 29-July-2014
- Underlying forces will continue to drive growth analyst says, http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Markets/Underlying-forces-will-continue-to-drive-
- Get Smarter: a powerful brain boosting supplement you’ve never heard of, http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2013/01/16/a-key-brain- boosting-supplement-youve-never-heard-of/
- Will Bock “PEGylated liposomes increase bioavailability” http://www.life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/1106-pegylated-liposomes-increase-bioavailability
- Charles River Lab. “An Acute Toxicity Study of GlutasomeTM by Oral Gavage in Rats.” Testing Facility Study No. 20020520 Ohio: Spencerville. 23 Feb. 2012